Tuesday, 3 November 2015

He Would Have Known (EF #30)

Notes:
1. It's a really good 1.5 min video. The important message of the video starts at the 35th second. 
2. I transcribed the dialogue below.



How much for the two of us?

A dollar each, and free for the kids under five. How old is he?

My son is six. Here’s two dollars.

Mister, you could have told me he was younger. I would not have known the difference.


True. But he would have known.

* * *

I hope you get a good lesson from the video. Now, it's time for another lesson for me. Time to practise the Conditional Clause Topic for this week EF challenge :D. The challenge itself is actually about "plan or regret", but I wasn't very committed this week hahaha... So I posted a really nice video instead :P


If the man had lied about his son's age, he would/could have saved some money.

Even if the man had lied about his son's age, the ticket seller would not have known the difference.

But his son would have known.

If the man had lied to the ticket seller, he would also have taught his son to lie.

If the man had lied to the ticket seller, he would not have taught a valuable principle to his son.



If I had been too lazy to share this video, I would not have inspired you to hold on to your values and principles :-)

Questions (anyone, please don't hesitate to answer this in the comment box!): I can change the "would" with other modals such as "could", "might", etc, can't I??

Thank you :-)

5 comments:

  1. Great post Bu Vita! And for the question I don't think that I really know the answer. D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...itu seriusan tanya loh.. Lalu kepada siapa kita2 ini bertanya? Bikin "Anda Bertanya Mentor Menjawab" yuk :p :P wkwkwk... *guyon! *gamaurepot! xD

      Delete
    2. inspiring video. very nice! btw..grammatically speaking, would is very common to be used in the result clause, but yes.. we may also use might and could.
      However your question caught my interest: i'm aware that language isn't just all about grammar..so do you think our 'feeling' plays some role in determining which word/phrase to be used? Because that's basically what i do all the time :D But then again, i'm not an english teacher.... so let's make a call for an english teacher to answer your question :)

      Delete
    3. I always believe that grammar is very logical but diction / expression are all about feeling.. and that's why we need to listen + watch + read to build our "database" / experience..

      I can't think of an example in English (while I know there are plenty!) but I can think of at least 3 examples in Bahasa Indonesia :-) I start w/ no. 1 n if u're interested I'll tell the no. 2 & 3 :p

      No. 1: You might find it interesting that Google Indonesia uses "telusuri" instead of "cari" for "search".. and uses "urung" insteaf of "batal" for "cancel".
      Somehow they sound nicer don't they! (after all, "somehow" is all about feeling.. :P)

      Delete
    4. interesting...maybe we can discuss this over coffee ;-) hehehe

      point taken, that grammar is logical (with all the pattern+stuff) and it seems natural that we need to catch up with the language as it changes and evolves over time, so yes.. it's important to enrich our 'database' ( meminjam istilah lo :D )

      so.. what's no 2&3? and..about that feeling (in translating), we may have to see whether it's in formal or informal document, oral or written situation? btw, i think batal has the closest meaning to cancel (instead urung), don't you think?

      Delete