Monday, 14 September 2015

Simple Habits That (are supposed to) Change My Life [EF #27]

Yay I write this post especially for BEC's revival party. I even write this post on Monday morning (again!). Haha so that I can post it and quickly leave it and forget it doing all the Monday works whew!. This week's challenge is about simple habit that changes our life. Now that I intend to write and post quickly, three random habits (which may seem trivial tongue) popped out in my mind, which are...

1. Peeling potatoes using the cold water technique
I'm used to peel potatoes using knife, not potato peeler, which takes some time. One day one of my friends shared this potatoes peeling technique from lifehack website, which she captioned "will save your life" or something like "will change your life forever" hahaha xD. It's basically boiling your potatoes with the skin on and then quickly transferring them to cold water for about 5 seconds and removing the skin easily. By the way, I never use ice blocks as some will recommend. Just cold water is enough.

(See? Even the video says "speed-peel a potato, save 1 month of your life" xD 
Yaay I have more time for research xD)

Well of course there are some additional tricks then (such as choosing smaller potatoes etc) but now I peel my potatoes this way :D. And not interested yet in using the potato peeler.

2. Using boiling water for cooking rice with rice cooker
Hahaha this is another one which seems trivial but it saves another 1 month of my life xD (figuratively :p ). There were times when the three of us arrived home (usually around 6 PM) and no rice for dinner as I couldn't get it prepared in the morning before we went. Then I had to cook only a small amount of rice, because to cook 3 cups of rice as usual would take around half an hour, which I expect my son could not tolerate (he's really hungry coming back from the childcare!). But a friend of mine taught me to boil water first in the electric kettle and use this for cooking rice in the rice cooker. Electric kettle boils water really fast and using this already boiling water in the rice cooker cuts the time needed to cook our 3 cups of rice to only 15 minutes!

3. Talking about my day (and anything else?) to my son
Now this is very specific, but this is one of those three random habits popping out in my head anyway. I started this habit intentionally last year, after reading some parenting tips. They say that building a good communication with our children should be started very early since they were still young (some even said it's started once they're in the womb). So I tell my 4 year old son about what I do after I leave him in the childcare. I even mention and explain about unfamiliar words and things I do like supercapacitors ("they're like special kind of batteries") or lab ("it's a place where we try things with special things and equipment. Only special persons can enter the lab. You need a special card to swipe.". The teacher in the childcare told me this helped children to appreciate more about their parents' works and understand more about the reason the parents sent them to childcare. It's true. Also, my son absorbed these things and it's not strange now that when he's playing with his building blocks he would say something like "Look I make a car with solar energy and supercapacitors." xD or "Look I build a very tall wind turbine.". We were also suggested to tell the feeling and problem we experienced (so that he also learns that when he has problem he can talk to his parents). So I also try to make this a habit. 

Okay so those are the three random habits I can share now. Now let me just submit the link (no one has submitted yet so scarily I might be the number one..) and then get away from it quickly :p. Back to work! :P


21 comments:

  1. Wow. Three different habits that definitely I will use. Thanks ya Vit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? You need habit no. 1 and 2 too? :D

      Delete
  2. ciyee... number one neh yee :D pelopor, euy! btw, i've done the number two habbit as well, but yeah.. i cook rice sooo very often! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ini namanya beli dagangan sendiri rin, wkwkwk....

      btw i think we spend 5 kg rice in less than a month. how about u? :D

      Delete
    2. hahaha.. beli dagangan sendiri atau obraaal :D hahaha

      i eat rice only during weekend and that's really just 7-10 spoonful, so...i'd say around 1kg in month (at home). but hey..i eat a lot of rice at work :D hahaha!

      Delete
    3. Where's your submission Rina? *digeplak pake sendok nasi*

      Delete
    4. #copypaste Where's your submission Ryan? :p

      Delete
    5. @Ryan: i'm working on it, mate :p and yes... same question goes right back at you! hahaha!

      Delete
  3. I never tried cooking rice using the boiling water. Well, maybe next time will try it *don't know when though*

    Thanks again Vita... for everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Ryan. You just don't know that you're inspiring as well :)

      Delete
  4. Wow... nice habits...
    I wanna try the first habits of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a peeler person (i use potato peeler for carrots, eggplant, apple, you name it) I am sooo tempted to try your first habit. But that's not for apples, right? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha we don't boil apples :p
      but now that you mention about using the peeler for carrots, I'm also tempted to give the peeler a try :p

      Delete
  6. what a helpful tips :D I spent more than 7 minutes to just peel one potato lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Lock Stock and Barrel" --> this is intriguing hahaha!

      so i just wonder how big the potato is if you need 7 mins to peel it :D

      Delete
    2. hahaha lol . its not that big, im just not good at cooking :'D

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to do your habit no.1 mbak :D
    thank you :) :) :)
    *langsung ke warung*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never tried cooking rice using the boiling water. but my mom did, and she told me to do the same. but I never tried. hehehe.

    Cant wait to try habit no. 3 soon, and wonder what will my son/girl said like that "Look I build a very tall wind turbine." XD

    or maybe my baby can do calculus in her/his dream XD

    ReplyDelete