Friday, 24 April 2015

Bad Values from Children Stories (and TV series) [EF#16]

EF's challenge this week is more or less about values we can learn from a tale, particularly our favourite childhood tale (Indonesian tale?). Honestly the first thing came in my mind was The Tale of Si Kancil (Kancil = translated as "mouse-deer" by kamus.orisinil but translated as "clever individual" by google(?!) raised eyebrows oh well..). There are many variations of the story, but the main plot is about this clever Kancil that stole Pak Tani's (farmer) cucumber and got trapped. But as he's "clever" (or tricky/sly?) he could trick another animal (I think it's a dog) to help him escape. Man... at least there are two bad values in this story:
(1) Stealing.
(2) Lying.

straight face

My point is, it's good if you find good (children) books/stories that teach good values. But it's more important that you're aware that there are some other stories that don't. Writing this also reminds me of one series that is aired on ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) Kids channel: The Tale of Peter Rabbit. I can't escape this show as it's been on the night time slot almost all the time when Hanif will most likely turn the TV on. Almost every episode that I watch involves stealing and even asking someone else to help those rabbits steal
straight face

I have to keep reminding my son that stealing is not good, "imagine if someone steals your thing", etc.. The funny thing is somehow I feel that the angry garden owner (whose fruits are often stolen by Peter and his friends) is plotted as the antagonist. straight face So I also have to explain to my son "Of course he got angry and chase Peter Rabbit, because he's upset that his fruits and veggies were stolen!"

So there's another point here: it's true that you need to be with your children/nephew/niece etc when they're watching TV. Because bad values are also taught through TV series (and again, books..).


9 comments:

  1. Yes. Many need a parental guidance so the children understand what is right and what is wrong.

    Febriyanlukito.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe I felt bad as this post doesn't really match the EF theme but that's what came to my mind :D

      Delete
  2. I agree with you :) apapun yang diterima sama anak memang perlu disaring dulu dan perlu anak memang perlu ditemani supaya mereka memiliki pengertian yang benar :) Salam kenal Mba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salam kenal :D
      Ho oh, buku2 (cerita anak) pun gitu juga ada yg bagus ada yg jelek.. musti selektif juga

      Delete
  3. I wrote about kancil too, but I forgot that Kancil ever stolen Mr. Farmer's cucumber, so I only conclude about being smart as Kancil :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha like I wrote, that's the very first thing came in my mind. Maybe because I also watched Peter Rabbit too much that I only remember the bad things :p

      Delete
  4. kancil is not a 'he', it's a 'she'. because I played as that naughty clever smart kancil who stole the cucumbers. hehehe...
    I agree with you mbak. My kids first learnt the word 'nakal' was also from this story. my kids used to ride odong-odong and listened to the song of 'si kancil anak nakal, suka mencuri timun. ayo lekas dikurung jangan diberi ampun'. hoaaa... I asked Pak Odong-odong not to play that song everytime my kids there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha samaaaa.... saya juga hafal lagu itu lho mbak (dan udah lupa kok bisa hafal kenapa -_- ) hihihi membesarkan anak2 memang baiknya pake yg positif2 yak ihihi

      Delete
    2. hahaha samaaaa.... saya juga hafal lagu itu lho mbak (dan udah lupa kok bisa hafal kenapa -_- ) hihihi membesarkan anak2 memang baiknya pake yg positif2 yak ihihi

      Delete